You want your clothing to last as long as possible, and for some articles of clothing, that means having them dry cleaned to maintain their integrity and ensure their longevity. Dry cleaning is a process that uses a solvent to clean delicate fabrics and household items that require special care and attention. It is essential to understand which items require dry cleaning to avoid damaging them.
When you have clothing that you need dry cleaned, it’s best to trust the process to the experts. Addressing stains before they set is essential to removing a spot before it’s too late. We’ve been cleaning clothing and other household fabrics beautifully for years at Highlander Cleaners, so you always have the garments you need to look your best and the fabrics around your home to be comfortable. Keep reading if you’re wondering about our dry cleaning services and want to learn more about them!
What Does Dry Cleaning Actually Mean?
As mentioned previously, dry cleaning is cleaning clothes and other textiles using a chemical solvent instead of water in the wash cycle. The process involves placing the clothes in an agitating machine that uses the solvent to dissolve and remove dirt, oil, and other stains and odors without damaging the fabric. The solvent is then distilled and filtered to remove impurities and can be reused for multiple cleaning cycles.
What Types Of Fabrics Require Dry Cleaning?
Dry cleaning is often used for fabrics that cannot withstand the harshness of water-based cleaning methods. These fabrics require dry cleaning instead of being washed with water because they are delicate or prone to shrinking, fading, or becoming misshapen when exposed to water and agitation. These items can also refer to clothes that cannot be washed at home due to their large size or material or valuable or rare items that need extra care.
Here are several types of clothing and fabrics that are best suited for dry cleaning services:
- Delicate Fabrics: Dry cleaning is often the best choice for fabrics made of delicate materials like silk, wool, cashmere, or lace. These materials can easily shrink or lose their shape when washed in water, but dry cleaning can preserve their quality and texture.
- Suits and Formal Wear: Suits, tuxedos, and other formal wear are often made of materials that require special care and attention. Dry cleaning can help to remove stains, refresh the fabric, and maintain the overall look of these garments.
- Leather and Suede: It is recommended to dry clean only clothes made of leather and suede materials like jackets, pants, and skirts. Water can cause these materials to become stiff and lose their natural texture and appearance.
- Embellished Garments: Clothes with decorations like beads, sequins, or embroidery might not be suitable for machine washing. Dry cleaning can help to preserve these delicate details.
- Items with Pleats or Linings: Clothing items with pleats or linings are often best cleaned through dry cleaning, as the heat and pressure of washing machines can often damage the pleats and cause the lining to shrink or become misshapen.
- Extremely Stained Items: The dry-cleaning process can help revive items with stubborn stains that cannot be removed through traditional washing methods.
- Fragile Material: Clothes that are made of delicate or thin synthetic materials like chiffon, tulle, or rayon require careful handling that is readily performed by a professional dry cleaner.
- Furs: It is necessary to have items made of fur professionally cleaned by a dry cleaner specializing in fur cleaning. You may also have the fur professionally trimmed at the cleaners.
- Dark-Colored Silks: Items made of dark-colored silks should be dry cleaned to avoid color bleeding issues commonly faced while washing with water.
- Waterproof or Water-Resistant Coatings: Some synthetic fabrics may have special finishes or treatments that are designed to repel water, such as waterproof or water-resistant coatings. These finishes may be damaged or removed if the fabric is washed with water, which can compromise their effectiveness.
What Types Of Household Items Require Dry Cleaning?
Dry cleaning is also necessary for cleaning household items as they require professional cleaning techniques.
- Curtains and Drapes: Items like curtains and drapes require professional cleaning to maintain their quality since they can’t be washed in water.
- Bedding: Items like comforters, sheets, and blankets are best suited for dry cleaning.
What Are Care Instructions And Maintenance Tips To Keep In Mind When It Comes To Dry Cleaning Clothes?
Professional dry cleaners often provide clothing maintenance and care instructions, including handling clothes that get stained or damaged. Adherence to these recommendations is essential to prolong your clothes’ lifespan.
- Special Care: Clothing materials and their labels may require special care, such as avoiding exposure to direct sunlight, avoiding harsh detergents, and adhering to care label instructions to prevent misshapen and ruined garments.
- Dry Cleaning Solvents: Dry cleaning solvents can be harmful, so professional dry cleaning services may be preferable.
- Fabric Composition: Fabrics have different composition elements that can react to cleaning differently. You should research your laundry services and inspect your fabrics to ensure they are dry-cleaned with the proper process.
- Stain Removal: Stains can make clothes unusable, and proper identification and removal are essential for longevity. It’s important to clean stains before they set, delaying the cleaning may prevent the stain from being removed.
- Clothing Labels: Garment care labels contain very detailed information about how to clean clothes, but matching the care instructions with the dry cleaning process recommended by professionals is essential.
- Clothing Durability: Proper dry cleaning processes help prolong the durability of clothes, and knowledge of care instructions is essential.
What Are The Environmental Impacts Of Dry Cleaning?
The chemical solvents associated with dry cleaning have been related to several environmental impacts. Dry-cleaning chemicals can contaminate soil and groundwater if not appropriately handled. Consumers can play a role in reducing the environmental impact of dry cleaning. When dry cleaning is necessary, consumers should seek out cleaners that use eco-friendly methods and solvents and inquire about the handling and disposing of hazardous waste.
How Does The Free Pickup And Delivery Service Work For Dry Cleaning Services?
Apart from the cleaning process, some dry cleaners provide free pickup and delivery services to bring orders to their customers’ homes or offices. This service is very convenient for busy individuals who struggle to find time to take their clothes to the dry cleaners and collect them afterward.
Preserve Your Wardrobe with High-Quality Dry Cleaning Services for Your Delicate and Dry Cleanable Clothes at Highlander Cleaners
Dry cleaning services are vital for maintaining the quality of clothes and household items. Adhering to care instructions, using eco-friendly dry cleaning services, and seeking out safe methods for handling hazardous waste can help reduce the environmental impact of dry cleaning. At Highlander Cleaners, we understand the importance of your clothing and household items and will ensure that they are handled with great care and attention to detail. Come visit one of our locations in Mount Joy, Elizabethtown, or Lancaster.